Sunday, May 8, 2011

One step forward....two steps back!!

As with any major surgery, there are good days and there are bad ones.  We weren't under any illusions that this whole experience was going to be a cake walk, but we have had some very unexpected things happen!  It seemed like dad was on the mend, and then yesterday he was again having problems breathing on his own.  This morning after getting him out of bed for a little chair time, he was again struggling to catch his breath.  The doctor decided to to a CT scan to double check some things.  The CT scan showed that the instesine was slowly creeping its way up into the now empty lung cavity...while this sounds pretty alarming, it seems that this happens quite regulary in lung removal cases.  The gortex mesh "place holder" had moved, allowing the intestine to wiggle where it wanted to! 

Dad had surgery to repair the mesh and put things back where they belong at 8:00 tonight.  The surgery went well, and the doctors feel that this will alleviate the problems that dad has been having with his breathing.

Dad still has quite a bit of fluid around the chest cavity, and they are draining as quickly as is safe and they are confident that with this surgery fix and the fluid gone, that dad will be able to breathe easily again! 

Please keep him in your prayers!  I will post an update as soon as one becomes available to me!

3 comments:

  1. Well here I am, I planned on sending one every day but you gave us a bit of a scare yesterday and when we heard all was fairly well again and you were back to recouping again, I just went to bed. Hope this finds you guys doing okay this morning,just want you both to know how much we all love you out here, and wish we could be there to help with the heavy load, all our love comes to you both in our prayers and thoughts. Hope this finds you well enough this morning to read this or have it read to you, hurry and get well enough to come home to us so we can help you in person. Have a wonderful day, Love you so very much. Jo anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so yesterday was a pretty long day here in Idaho, and I'm sure it was even longer for Dave and Barbara in Boston, but it sounds like it was worth the wait from the way things are going right now. Barbara, thanks so much for the calls and texts, and Melissa thanks for keeping the blog so up-to-date. We look at it in the morning and again at night. Dave we love you and all I can say is "hang in there". Ardis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I'd best send you a good morning before I get started on my day. I was to tired when I got done yesterday to do it. Hope this finds you feeling good this morning, Haven't heard anything from anyone this morning, so are assuming that no news is good news. Hope the sun is shining back there and it is pretty, we are having typical Idaho weather here, Kathy and I planted some stuff in our square foot gardens the other day, and so far all it has done is rain and snow, however they are saying sunshine and 70's after today. Ardis continues to tell me that I am not in Arkansas anymore and I can't plant until June, but I continue to ignore her. But she is right, I just get the spring fever Arkansas style every spring. Well I'm spring cleaning today, so best get busy,love you so very much, hope you have as good a day as you had yesterday, see ya tomorrow, JoAnne

    ReplyDelete